Every year I find the November Facebook thankfulness posts very refreshing. People stop posting filtered pictures of their dinner and political rants and instead try to challenge themselves to be grateful. I’ve decided to try this-again-this time, here instead of Facebook. We’ll see how it goes?
1. I am thankful for Talan and Tessa. They are absolutely my happy place- even when they’re driving me crazy. Being their mom makes me a better person. Plus, they’re awesome and adorable.
2. I am thankful for Joe Bratton. There is probably no one else on this earth who is as patient with me as he is. I am pretty dang uncontrollable, and he sits peacefully along for the ride. Love him so much for being a great father, a supportive husband, and my very best friend.
3. Today I’m thankful for an awesome church family. When I get disgusted with people in general, they always remind me that I’m loved unconditionally by God…and by them! Love, love, love them.
4. On this rainy Monday, I’m so thankful I have a home. I have a love/hate relationship with this house, but the bottom line is it’s home. It’s warm. It is so much more than I need or deserve. There is no where else I’d rather be than comfy and snuggled in at my home, and I’m very blessed to have one.
5. I am thankful for my job. There are good days and bad days, likable people and not-so-likable people, days I’m a rock star and days I’m a flake, just like with any job. One constant of my job, though, is that it is ALWAYS important. I always have the opportunity to influence and inspire. Some people never know the joy of a fulfilling job, but I do every day. I’m very blessed for that.
6. Today I’m thankful for books. I love to read. I love the power a book has to take my mind off my stress and transport me to another world. I love seeing my world differently because of what characters teach me. I love the lines that stay with me and come to mind later in real life situations. Books and language constantly bless me with such happiness.
7. I am thankful for fall weather. The colors of leaves, the cool crisp air, fun decorations, and cozy sweaters/boots are all things I love about this season. I’m thankful that I have trees in my yard to fall and crunch and blow around, and I cannot wait to put a fire in that fireplace and hear it crackle while I relax in my chair. I’m a summertime girl, but the coziness of fall is something I can appreciate.
8. Joe and I got engaged 10 years ago today. And I realize that I’ve already been thankful for Joe, but today I am thankful for marriage in general. Since Joe chose to celebrate this minor anniversary by going to deer camp, I celebrated with the kids. A night out was all it took to remind me of my single mom days while Joe was in Nevada. Wow! I’m blessed to have help. I’m also lucky that my help is my very best friend in the world. On days when I cannot stand the rest of the world, I have that one person who loves me. It’s one of the best things about my life.
9. I’m so thankful for food. After a semi stressful grocery trip with my kids, I was exhausted and frustrated to carry it in and put it all away alone. I then prepared a meal that was WAY to much for three people but delicious. Some people don’t have access to the food that they need, yet we have new than we could ever want. So blessed to have full stomachs.
10. I am thankful for my oldest niece on her 17th birthday. She is just so special, and I’m glad to be her aunt.
11. I am thankful for health. We’ve had a couple little scares lately, but we’re hanging in there. Our able bodies are gifts which should never be taken for granted.
12. I am thankful for the brilliant, sarcastic, loving, open minded, forgiving parents who raised me. Best. People. Ever.
13. I am thankful for coworkers who appreciate and encourage me. My work friends are great, and I’m lucky to have friends at work.
14. I am thankful for intelligence. I know that sounds cocky, but I’m being serious. I’m very blessed to be smart enough to do whatever I set out to do, and if I can’t do it, I’m smart enough to fake it or ask for help. So glad to be surrounded by intelligence too.
15. I am thankful for kindness where I don’t expect it. Sometimes I am just so surprised at the willingness of people to say and do kind things. I hope I occasionally am able to warm the hearts of others they way I’ve had mine warmed lately.
16. I’m thankful that my brother is still around. Every day we have with him is a blessing. Such a great brother, uncle, and friend.
17. On her birthday, I’m thankful for my sister. She’s always there for us, and she’s a great aunt for T&T. Plus, she made me an aunt!
18. I am thankful for medicine. Having Talan’s allergist appointment today gave me an opportunity to reflect on how lucky we are to have access to great healthcare. He’s so much healthier now than when we started 3 years ago, and I appreciate their helping him.
19. I’m thankful for pets. I haven’t always been an animal person, but Desi and Beau made me one. They’re not always well-behaved (who is?), but they love us unconditionally and are always up to play or cuddle. We love those furry babies!
20. I am thankful for payday. I think it’s very easy to take income for granted because I’m used to it. However, a lot of people don’t have the blessing of money reliably hitting the bank on a certain day.
21. I’m thankful for Brooklyn. Because her birthday isn’t this month, I haven’t mentioned her yet. I’m so glad that she beat the odds if Turner’s Syndrome just by being born, and she continues to bless us just by being her.
22. I’m thankful to be a Devil Dog. Those guys really played hard tonight. I’m glad not just to be an alumni, but to be a teacher and able to share in their successes with them. I am so proud.
23. I’m thankful for coffee. I realize it’s an addiction, but I just don’t care. It makes getting up more pleasant, and it tastes so good. Especially during fall and winter, I appreciate a cup (or several) of warm cozy goodness.
24. I’m thankful for technology. I live the ability to have information at my fingertips…and online shopping is definitely a blessing for an introvert.
25. As much as it infuriates me, sometimes I am thankful for social media. What a great way to keep in touch! And on blah days like today, it holds the potential to lift my spirits.
26. I am thankful that I got to meet all of my grandparents. This is a joy my children will never know, and I think many people take it for granted. Being able to look at those people helps us understand who we are, and I’m glad to have known mine.
27. I am thankful for music. Sometimes when I don’t really know what to say, song lyrics can say it perfectly. And even though I’m not all that musical myself, I completely believe music can heal a mood and save the day.
28. I am thankful for holidays. Joe and I both come from families that genuinely enjoy each other and are able to eat and hang out without too much drama. Definitely a blessing.
29. I’m thankful that, even though there were many things I wanted this Black Friday, there was nothing I needed. We are so fortunate to not know true need, hunger, or sadness. Far more than we deserve.
30. I am thankful for traditions. As we decorate our Christmas tree today, we reflect on past Christmases. Though things will be a little different each year, there are a few things we can count on to stay the same, and that’s a comfort.